- Corrosion Experts
- Technical Groups
The AMPP Cathodic Protection Level 1 – Tester (CP1) course provides an introduction to both the theoretical and practical aspects of cathodic protection. The course presents the fundamentals of corrosion and cathodic protection and provides hands-on training in how to perform basic field-testing and interpret the results via a practical lab.
Who should attend
Those tasked with supervising CP system implementation and operations, performing field-testing of CP system performance, and/or recording and/or analysing this data, including Field Personnel and Technicians.
Cathodic Protection Tester course presents CP technology to students entering the cathodic protection industry.
Duration: 5 Days
Method: Personal instruction and
- Practical Examination
- Theory Examination (off-site)
- All course materials
- Full catering
- Testing materials
*Additional Ethics eCourse provided by AMPP may be required to complete certification*
- Basics of electricity, electrical laws, electrochemistry, corrosion and CP theory.
- Polarity related to current flow and metal corrosion activity.
- Conduct tests to identify shorts and continuity tests in CP systems.
- Use test instruments to perform a variety of field tests such as Structure-to-soil potentials, voltage and current measurements, soil.
- Resistivity, pipe/cable locating and rectifier readings.
- CP components including impressed current systems, galvanic anodes and test stations.
- Read shunts and understand their use in rectifiers, bonds, and anodes.
- Perform periodic surveys to confirm the effectiveness of a CP system Reference cells, their maintenance, use, and precautions.
- Basic location mapping, report preparation, and record keeping.
- Review safety issues and code requirements specific to CP.
An approved recertification application is required every 3 years. The work experience requirement for renewals for all certifications is one and half (1.5) years for the most recent three (3) year period. Additionally, some certifications have other requirements related to responsibility in charge.
As you prepare for renewal, please visit My Certification Portal to log and manage your work experience and Professional Development Hours (PDH’s) needed. Your work experience and PDH’s will be submitted as part of your renewal application but you can input PDH’s at any time. See the certification renewal guide for PDH’s requirements, our sample training PDH guide, and our PDH how-to videos.
Certification holders are required to pay a non-refundable processing fee for renewal.
NOTE: AMPP reserves the right to return any incomplete applications or those that do not meet the requirements. All application fees are non-refundable. To avoid processing delays or forfeiture of fees, please ensure that the application is complete, meets all the requirements and payment has been received.
Expression of Interest for Training Course
If you can’t find the course you are after, please fill in the expression of interest below and we will contact you when we schedule one.