- Corrosion Experts
- Technical Groups
The AMPP Cathodic Protection Level 3 – Technologist (CP3) is an introductory cathodic protection design course. The course presents advanced electrochemical theory related to corrosion and cathodic protection, basic CP design considerations and calculations, a detailed discussion on DC & AC interference, and advanced level testing and troubleshooting approaches.
Who should attend
Technicians and Engineers who have extensive field experience and a strong grasp of CP theoretical and practical fundamentals that are seeking more in-depth understanding of the related scientific, engineering design, and performance evaluation fundamentals.
Duration: 5 Days Virtual
Method: Personal instruction and practice
- Practical Examination
- Theory Examination (off-site)
- All course materials
- Testing materials
- Full catering
*Additional Ethics eCourse provided by AMPP may be required to complete certification*
Prerequisite: No formal prerequisites
A strong knowledge of algebra, with thorough understanding of unit conversions and scientific notation is required to comprehend this course.A basic understanding of trigonometry and geometry is also recommended.
- Define activation, concentration, and resistance polarization
- Apply the AMPP criteria for CP and make necessary adjustments
- Identify errors in data collection/CP measurements including contact resistance errors, voltage drop errors, and reference electrode errors
- Determine ideal current distribution for a CP system taking into account the factors affecting current distribution
- Perform advanced cathodic protection testing using correct measurement techniques to monitor CP system performance
- Conduct and document interference tests to determine if interference exists, and identify the source of the interference and implement a
- method of control to mitigate the effects of stray current
- Design and install simplistic forms of galvanic and impressed
- current cathodic protection facilities and preform the necessary mathematical calculations
An approved recertification application is required every 3 years. The work experience requirement for renewals for all certifications is one and half (1.5) years for the most recent three (3) year period. Additionally, some certifications have other requirements related to responsibility in charge.
As you prepare for renewal, please visit My Certification Portal to log and manage your work experience and Professional Development Hours (PDH’s) needed. Your work experience and PDH’s will be submitted as part of your renewal application but you can input PDH’s at any time. See the certification renewal guide for PDH’s requirements, our sample training PDH guide, and our PDH how-to videos.
Certification holders are required to pay a non-refundable processing fee for renewal.
NOTE: AMPP reserves the right to return any incomplete applications or those that do not meet the requirements. All application fees are non-refundable. To avoid processing delays or forfeiture of fees, please ensure that the application is complete, meets all the requirements and payment has been received.
Expression of Interest for Training Course
If you can’t find the course you are after, please fill in the expression of interest below and we will contact you when we schedule one.